Fox Business cancels Lou Dobbs' show

2

Lou Dobbs, one of former President Donald Trump’s fiercest cable news supporters, will no longer host his Fox Business show, the network confirmed Friday.

Dobbs routinely defended Trump even as the former president spread false claims of mass election fraud. Though Dobbs was one of the network’s most watched hosts and remains under contract, he likely will not be returning to the network.

Trump gave his backing to the septuagenarian cable host Friday, saying in a statement: “Lou Dobbs is and was great. Nobody loves America more than Lou. He had a large and loyal following that will be watching closely for his next move, and that following includes me."

Dobbs, who has been with the network for 10 years, did not appear on his show Friday. His slot will be taken over Monday by a new program, "Fox Business Tonight," which will feature Jackie DeAngelis and David Asman.

The Los Angeles Times first reported Dobbs’ show cancellation.

Like many news organizations, Fox News and Fox Business have both been reassessing programming amid the presidential transition. Fox News removed one of its news hosts, Martha MacCallum, from her 7 p.m. slot last month and replaced her with an opinion show with a temporary rotating cast of hosts.

The network announced in October that it would "launch new formats as appropriate" following the presidential election.

“As we said in October, FOX News Media regularly considers programming changes and plans have been in place to launch new formats as appropriate post-election, including on FOX Business – this is part of those planned changes. A new 5PM program will be announced in the near future,” a Fox spokesperson said in a statement to POLITICO.

Dobbs’ departure comes after a voting software company on Thursday filed a defamation suit against Fox Corporation that named Dobbs as a defendant. The company, Smartmatic, alleged the network had spread misinformation about election security amid Trump’s false claims that the 2020 election had been stolen from him.

Fox Corporation had also denounced the lawsuit’s allegations, saying in a statement Thursday it was "committed to providing the full context of every story with in-depth reporting and clear opinion. We are proud of our 2020 election coverage and will vigorously defend against this meritless lawsuit in court.”

View original post